Go Back   Ride Ohio > Main Forums > Ride Reports

Notices

Ride Reports Post pictures and stories about the rides or events you have done

Old 07-30-2015

Jim has disabled reputation
Default 2015 BRP on RT with WD Adventure

Day 1 (420 miles)
WD and I left home at 0630 on Friday morning for our first trip together on the R1200RT headed for Little Switzerland NC for a four nights stay at the Switzerland Inn. Its been six years since we took a motorcycle trip together and looking back I probably shouldnt have planned such long riding days but she never complained once. We rode 3 hours before making the first stop well into Kentucky on US23 also known as The Country Music Highway. If you want to avoid the interstate highways and still make good time I highly recommend US23, sucks in Ohio but is really nice in KY & VA, it turns into I-26 in TN.

We exited US23/I-26 around Johnson City TN to head for Roan Mountain State Park and TN SR143. This was my first time on 143 and it was a great road with beautiful views.

Next stop was the Switzerland Inn (BRP MM 334), we arrived about 1530 and were ready for a cold one. This was our first time here and its a bit pricey but the accommodations were quite nice and the view was spectacular. They have a pub, a full service restaurant and an outdoor pool with two adjacent in ground hot tubs. They also have a gas fed outdoor fire pit were quests would gather in the evening. Due to the cost I would not recommend this place for a guy trip but damn it sure was nice to stay practically right on the BRP, you literally ride out of the parking lot and you are on the BRP ready to head north or south.

View from our balcony

Sunrise view from balcony

Day 2 (305 miles)
We were on the Parkway headed south for the 22 mile ride to Mt. Mitchell by 0900. We got lucky as it was a relatively clear morning on the summit, temperature was a refreshing 59 degrees. Two other motorcyclists were up top, one on a K1600GTL and the other on a Tiger 800.

Next we headed back north on the Parkway to jump on NC80 south toward Marion NC which I just found out is called The Devils Whip. Ive ridden it before and it is an awesome road with some challenging switchbacks and turns. The photographers (Blind Kenny) caught me off guard as Id never seen them on this road before.

We have property west of Asheville south of Marion that we wanted to visit since itd been a few years since wed been there. Its for sale if anyone is interested, nice gated community with great views of the mountains. On our way up we had a close encounter with two deer crossing the road in front of us and then a turtle in the road. I will usually stop and move turtles from the road but the road was much too twisty and narrow to risk.

Our property on right

Home across from property and view

Next we headed toward Lake Lure by way of more twisty backroads. Along the way we encountered a most unusual site for NC, within a fenced in yard was a miniature horse and a camel, yes a CAMEL! I wish we would have turned around to take a picture. We had lunch at Larkins on the Lake, nice view and good food. Lake Lure brings back good memories for me as a kid, my parents would vacation here and we would hike up to Chimney Rock. Of course this was in the early 70s before it became such a tourist attraction. Now a days it is just packed with tourists.

After lunch in Lake Lure we headed west on US74, another fun twisty road. We took this all the way to Asheville and jumped on southbound BRP toward the highest point on the BRP, about 50 miles from US74. We encountered some rain along the way but once we reached our destination it cleared nicely. Now it was getting late in the afternoon and we were 100 miles from the Switzerland Inn via the BRP, oh darn 100 miles on the BRP to complete our days ride.

Back to the Inn just in time for sunset

To be continued
'14 BMW R1200RT
'12 Triumph Tiger 800
IBA #30023
Old 07-30-2015
Fickle Pickle

jnor has disabled reputation

Looks like a great trip ...i'm jealous

Glad you guys had a good time !!!
Old 07-30-2015
It's always time to ride

wahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond repute

^^^^. Ditto what he said.

Although now we have a new motel to try in NC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No matter where life's journey takes you.... there you are.
Not all who wander are lost.....

Last edited by wahoo; 07-30-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-30-2015
motorcycle nut

the ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome pics Jim. I have stayed at Little Switzerland a couple of times. For men only there is a building in the back with covered parking. Not posh, but you can split room price and then it's reasonable. With Mrs Ferret we stay up front and it's really nice. Yes kinda pricy but not overly so and the rooms are really nice.

I need to email you about some obscure road suggestions. Our Mens Fall Trip is down the BRP again this year, and I'd like to anchor at maybe Lil Switzerland and hit some stuff OFF the BRP. Jnor said our regular hotel at the beginning of the BRP has gone down hill badly?
Old 07-30-2015

mtnstar has a reputation beyond reputemtnstar has a reputation beyond reputemtnstar has a reputation beyond reputemtnstar has a reputation beyond reputemtnstar has a reputation beyond reputemtnstar has a reputation beyond reputemtnstar has a reputation beyond reputemtnstar has a reputation beyond reputemtnstar has a reputation beyond reputemtnstar has a reputation beyond reputemtnstar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jim we take us 23 all the time. It is much better than running interstate. To make it even better coming home jump off on I 64 east just before you get to ashland run that to the east side of Huntington ,there is an exit that says ( to rt 2) take that exit and its only a couple miles to rt2 then its go up river past hillbilly hot dogs cross at us 35 and your home free.
If you look at that rt on a map it's almost a straight line where as if you take us 23 all the way it takes forever to get through ashland and over to Portsmouth and up. By the way nice pictures! We are going to be heading that way first week in august. Can't wait!!
Old 07-31-2015
TIME TO RIDE - RIDE ON!!!

HG has disabled reputation

Very nice
Thanks for posting....
RIDE ON....

Hopefully, those miles put a smile on your face! It always does for me!
Old 08-01-2015

GPS trip stats...hmmm
'14 BMW R1200RT
'12 Triumph Tiger 800
IBA #30023
Old 08-01-2015

mtnstar has a reputation beyond reputemtnstar has a reputation beyond reputemtnstar has a reputation beyond reputemtnstar has a reputation beyond reputemtnstar has a reputation beyond reputemtnstar has a reputation beyond reputemtnstar has a reputation beyond reputemtnstar has a reputation beyond reputemtnstar has a reputation beyond reputemtnstar has a reputation beyond reputemtnstar has a reputation beyond repute

I know if I had hit that top speed with my woman on back I would probably have some really sore ribs even if was passing an airplane!
Old 08-02-2015

Erroneous, we never exceeded 3 digits. Top speed on the RT is probably more like 130 solo without luggage.
'14 BMW R1200RT
'12 Triumph Tiger 800
IBA #30023