Go Back   Ride Ohio > Main Forums > Riding Well

Notices

Riding Well Discussion about riding technique. Tips on riding far, riding fast, and staying safe the while doing it.

Old 04-24-2013

netfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nice
Default Turning on sand - Cruiser vs. ST1300

In the development in which I live, they use sand and cinders over the winter instead of salt. That means, when I start riding in the spring, there is a ton of grit to negotiate and it seems to collect in the corners.

After years of riding my Shadow through that, I've trained myself to go super slow when entering or exiting that area. On my Shadow, the slightest little bit of lean or hot corner taking will result in a sphincter tightening slip.

On the ST1300 I haven't noticed this, despite coming in hot a couple of times because I haven't gotten used to how fast the darn thing is in comparison. My question is this: Why?

Seems to me a heavier bike, higher seat position and faster speed SHOULD cause me to slip just like my Shadow.... but it doesn't. Is this simply due to bike design or suspension differences? Since the bike is new I certainly can't chalk it up to rider experience.

thanks
Old 04-24-2013
Retired and Loving It

reinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Probably the Tires

Sport Touring bikes generally have narrower tires that have tread designed & formulated for maximum grip. Each square inch of tread is bearing more weight down on a stickier tread compound. Cruisers on the other hand have wider (at least the rear one) tires made of harder rubber compounds to maximize tread wear. These tires tend to lose grip easier and also can hydroplane easier, putting the bike into a fishtail especially under braking or acceleration.
Old 04-24-2013

TimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud of
Default Re: Turning on sand - Cruiser vs. ST1300

Sticker tires

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
13 HD Roadglide custom
Old 04-24-2013

Ohiodeere is on a distinguished road

They all slide when there's material on a hard surface. sand, gravel, dirts etc.. The goal is to train yourself to handle it. don't panic, throttle control and steer out of it. you need to travel on a gravel road for some miles. after a while you get used to it sliding around. practice powering out of the turns on gravel and letting the rear slide out.. lots of fun. you need extra tires after a while.
I always found an upright bike more capable of control than a cruiser. However i've had more time on a standard bike than a cruiser.

see if the local ice ring will let you put your bike on it for practice.
Old 04-24-2013
backyard explorer

tdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond repute

my guess would be better tires. now when it comes to tucking the front wheel in it's the other way around. the more relaxed steering geometry of a cruiser will make the front end more stable in this kind of situation over the steeper front end geometry of a sport bike.

tim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-24-2013
motorcycle nut

the ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond repute

All I can say is don't get over confident. Lack of adhesion between tire and hard surface can put you on your backside quicker than you can say oh sh*t.
Old 04-24-2013

rollnhot is on a distinguished road

STs are the BOSS thats why
Old 04-24-2013

netfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nice
Default Re: Turning on sand - Cruiser vs. ST1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollnhot View Post
STs are the BOSS thats why
Well, and that

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.