Go Back   Ride Ohio > Main Forums > Gear

Notices

Gear Talk about helmets, tires, clothing, camping equipment, GPS - all that extra stuff we need!

Old 06-05-2014
aka 'Ridemyglide'

glide has disabled reputation
Default Sunglare

I have a garmin gps for the car that I also use on the bike for trips. I use it in an aquabox for waterproof purposes. For that it works great. But the issue I am having is how much sunglare seems to make the screen very hard to see. Tipping or turning it a bit sometimes helps but even then its hardly visible. I have messed with the light settings on the garmin but nothing really works. Anyone here ever dealt with something like this?

Looking for some ideas on how to correct this.
Old 06-05-2014
It's always time to ride

wahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond repute

They make sun visors for the gps units but not sure they help all that much.

I have the same problem with my garmin 765t but haven't found a good solution other than to cover the unit with my clutch hand and trying to read the screen.

Having polarized prescription sunglasses also compounds the problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No matter where life's journey takes you.... there you are.
Not all who wander are lost.....
Old 06-05-2014

Tonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond repute

Based on my efforts to solve the same problem on my phone....you are pretty much screwed. I got mine low and very near the fairing. That blocks most of it. When the sun is behind me I lean forward to block the sun.

A motorcycle specific gps will have a more sun proof screen. That is your best bet.
Old 06-05-2014

Tonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond repute

On thing you can do. They make anti glare screen protectors for phone. Get one and cut it down to size. Helps a little.
Old 06-06-2014

Ken45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to behold

This is one of the exact reasons they make the more expensive "designed for motorcyles" models such as the Zumo. They have brighter screens designed to be used in sunlight.

Originally I tried my old Garmin 340 (?) but it was very difficult and distracting. I pretty much had to stop at the roadside to use it

The Zumo works well in most lighting conditions.

Don't feel bad, I was highly disappointed at the (expensive option) built in GPS in my 2010 Goldwing Navi Although brighter, glare on the screen made it difficult to read and you can't shift its angle or location
Old 06-06-2014
It's always time to ride

wahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond repute

My 765t cost 99 bucks on Amazon. A zumo is around $650.

For the cost difference, I'll just deal with the sunglare.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No matter where life's journey takes you.... there you are.
Not all who wander are lost.....
Old 06-06-2014
Retired and Riding

Road Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond repute

I just bought a Nuvi 50 from Amazon ($99 also) and with the screen brightness at 100% - I can see it fine... one other thing - if you are having problems maybe you should switch it to "night mode" - that seemed to work for me in bright sun on my other GPS

Retired and Riding for over 17 years on a small fixed income!

Honda said ride RED so I am...

Old 08-08-2014

imp3ter is on a distinguished road

Does anyone have experience using the Glare-stomper? I'm planning to buy one for my Nuvi.