Go Back   Ride Ohio > Main Forums > Gear

Notices

Gear Talk about helmets, tires, clothing, camping equipment, GPS - all that extra stuff we need!

Old 09-07-2013
Bad lines, slow as hell

Tank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond repute

You are not doing wilderness camping so you do not need MRE. Everything you need is at Dollar General. Tuna. Peanut butter. Ramen noodles. Granola bars. They also have these tv dinner things that do not need refrigeration. All kinds of good stuff. Nuts. Crackers. Pringles.

A MRE costs more than just buying lunch somewhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-07-2013
Bald, Fat & Slow.

Pauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
Iron Horse is a terrific place to camp. You wont find a place that makes camping on a motorcycle easier.

I am going to be at the Gap the nights of 09/22 - 09/27. If I have a open bunk on the nights you two will be there you are welcome to it. I do snore and fart in my sleep, but a room for about the same price of camping might make it worth it.
I appreciate the offer, Don. I am actually sort of looking forward to a solo moto-camping trip. Lyns won't be coming with me. Neither will Isaac. Just me, the 'Strada and some weathered maps.

Quote:
You are not doing wilderness camping so you do not need MRE. Everything you need is at Dollar General. Tuna. Peanut butter. Ramen noodles. Granola bars. They also have these tv dinner things that do not need refrigeration. All kinds of good stuff. Nuts. Crackers. Pringles.

A MRE costs more than just buying lunch somewhere.
You're right about the food. No sense carrying a bunch of shit with me all weekend. Should I bring the Coleman stove, though? I can build a campfire, but I doubt IronHorse will take kindly to me removing branches from one of their trees. I have no interest in buying firewood when I'm surrounded by a forest.
Old 09-07-2013
Bad lines, slow as hell

Tank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond repute

I would eat food that does not have to be hot, or something like hot dogs that you can cook over a fire using a stick. Too much space to take a stove as well as whatever utensils you might need to cook on that stove.

If you really want to have a real alone camping experience you should check out Horse Cove Campground. Some really nice sites right next to a little creek.

If you really want to hardcore it you can camp along the road at 129.

If you go hardcore you can shower at the Fontana Village campground below the dam. There is a unsupervised shower building there that you can get a quick free shower.

Bonegirl will be staying at the Fontana campground that week also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-07-2013
Bad lines, slow as hell

I once stayed a week at the Gap eating almost nothing but granola bars. I left home with my right saddlebag completely full of them. They were on sale.

Old 09-07-2013
Bald, Fat & Slow.

Pauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I would eat food that does not have to be hot, or something like hot dogs that you can cook over a fire using a stick. Too much space to take a stove as well as whatever utensils you might need to cook on that stove.

If you really want to have a real alone camping experience you should check out Horse Cove Campground. Some really nice sites right next to a little creek.

If you really want to hardcore it you can camp along the road at 129.

If you go hardcore you can shower at the Fontana Village campground below the dam. There is a unsupervised shower building there that you can get a quick free shower.

Bonegirl will be staying at the Fontana campground that week also.
My first thought was to camp along the lake on 129, but for $15/night... IronHorse seems pretty nice. I just don't want it to be "Gap Store" loud at night, if you know what I mean. Even Fontana is too much noise, most nights.

I just looked at HorseCove. That is what I'm after. IronHorse is better than nothing, but the sites at HC are fantastic. Thanks!

Quote:
I once stayed a week at the Gap eating almost nothing but granola bars. I left home with my right saddlebag completely full of them. They were on sale.
I can live off of Atkins and Cliff bars, but I'd prefer not to.
Old 09-07-2013

TimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud of
Default Re: First Motorcycle Camping Trip..

Motocycle camping is fun tho I was always riding 2 up and that can be a bit of a challange. thibk this was the 1st trip to tanked
And these 2 were erie

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
13 HD Roadglide custom
Old 09-07-2013
Bald, Fat & Slow.

Funny how a little camping equipment can make a bike look so small.

I pitched the tent in the backyard a few hours ago. I thought I forgot how, but it's pretty dummy-proof. The tent is quite large for only one person, but at least I'll have room for my stuff at night. Lyns sleeping bag is purple, but it's a Kelty filled with down... so I'll just deal.

So, that solves my sleeping arrangements. I can't seem to find my stove, anyway. It may be in the shed. I hope it's in the shed... damn thing is brand new. Anyway, aside from snacks and water, I think I have my gear squared away. Tent has a reasonably sized rain fly, so I can use it as shade if it isn't raining. I'll grab some extra stakes to use for that situation.

I'm kind of excited about camping... and that's really weirding me out.
Old 09-07-2013
It's always time to ride

wahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond repute

Did you see the Facebook picture from DGMR campground today ?

Brad said it was the first time they are full and have no available space for tents today.

No matter where life's journey takes you.... there you are.
Not all who wander are lost.....
Old 09-07-2013
Bad lines, slow as hell

There is something about having your tent strapped to the bike that makes travelling feel more adventurous. I guess it is the idea that you can stop anywhere for the night.

All the same, I have not done much camping the last few years. It is fun when the weather is good and you have extra time, but it is no fun at all when the weather is bad and you are riding from sunup to sundown.

Old 09-07-2013
Bald, Fat & Slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
Did you see the Facebook picture from DGMR campground today ?

Brad said it was the first time they are full and have no available space for tents today.
Just went to see. Good for business. Bad for enjoying nature.