Go Back   Ride Ohio > Main Forums > Gear

Notices

Gear Talk about helmets, tires, clothing, camping equipment, GPS - all that extra stuff we need!

Old 04-18-2013
motorcycle nut

the ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond repute

Old 04-18-2013
It's always time to ride

wahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond repute

I used to wear a 3/4 helmet until I saw someone who did a face plant at 60 mph.

I'll stick with a full face (or modular) helmet from now on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No matter where life's journey takes you.... there you are.
Not all who wander are lost.....

Last edited by wahoo; 04-18-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-18-2013
motorcycle nut

the ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
I used to wear a 3/4 helmet until I saw someone who did a face plant at 60 mph.

I'll stick with a full face (or modular) helmet from now on.

What about the guys who swear they've seen people face plant wearing a modular, and the latch fail, and they ended up smashed face anyway?

Look up any thread where people ask about modulars...the fear mongers come out in droves. Took me less than 30 seconds to find one

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...odular+helmets

Same goes with blue jeans, non armored boots, non armored jackets, non high viz jackets, non armored gloves....

Then there's Dot certification vs Snell vs the European standard

Its never ending

Wear what you feel comfortable wearing
Old 04-18-2013
It's always time to ride

wahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond repute

I didn t intend to sound like i was preaching.

I honestly don't care what anyone else wears, except Mrs. Wahoo.

I don't pay their medical bills.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-18-2013

Tonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Helmets...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyG View Post
I suggest going to iron pony and trying some on. They have the most brands under one roof I have ever seen

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
This.

I get my helmets there. Once i narrow it down i put it on and wander the store for thirty minutes or so to be sure.

OP mentioned weight. The new composite helmets are super light.
Old 04-18-2013

Saddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud of

Enjoyed this thread as I too am shopping for a new helment. HJC has done we well, but wondered if another style/brand would be smoother or reduce the wind buffeting I am getting on the SG.
Old 04-18-2013
motorcycle nut

Sorry Wahoo, guess Im just a little sensitive because on every forum I go to someone is telling someone else that they are foolish for wearing anything other than carbon fibre full face helmets, full leather armored body gear etc. We all know motorcycling is a high risk venture in the best of circumstances, but we all must ride in our comfort zone, equipment wise.... be that doo rag, sleeveless leather vest, blue jeans, fingerless gloves, and engineer boots.....or full face helmet, full armored leather suit, armored boot and gloves, or high viz helmet and jacket.

The ATGATT guys and the "dress for the crash, not for the ride" guys, you know, the "this is what I wear, and it's what you'd wear too if you weren't a mindless dolt" guys just drive me bananas.

I'm a wear some of the gear some of the time guy because thats what I choose to wear given a certain set of circumstances...but its really none of my business what anyone else chooses to wear when riding.Choices and consequences.

Didn't mean to jump on. You.
Old 04-18-2013
It's always time to ride

No problem.

Old 04-18-2013

Tonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Helmets...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddlebutt View Post
Enjoyed this thread as I too am shopping for a new helment. HJC has done we well, but wondered if another style/brand would be smoother or reduce the wind buffeting I am getting on the SG.
Yes. I am a former HJC guy and I stepped up to a Shoei. The difference in weight, noise, comfort and stability is dramatic. Many of the premium helmets really do deliver.

However buffeting is usually caused by air coming up your chest and into the underside of you helmet. But not always. You can test this. Put your left arm across your chest to block that air path. If you feel a lot of air on your arm and the buffeting stops them it's air flow issues. Probably hitting the tank and rolling up your chest.
Old 04-18-2013

netfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nice

Just wondering.. I know I didn't go with the Beemer, but, do they make whale foreskin helmets??